Plants Toxic To Animals: Taking A Trip To Urgent Vet Care
We all love adding a bit of greenery to our homes, but we forget that a beautiful floral decoration for us can be a health nightmare for our pets.
Many common houseplants and flowers can be toxic to animals, causing reactions that can range from nausea to seizures and even death. We’ve compiled a list below of the most common plants toxic to animals and what you should do if your pet were to accidentally ingest one.
Bear in mind that any plant consumed in great quantities by your pet can cause digestion problems. When in doubt, keep those shrubs and leaves elevated on a high shelf or separate room.
Without further ado, here is your quick reference list of plants that are toxic to animals and will require a trip to urgent vet care.
Lilies are gorgeous flowers but they’ll be disagreeable to your furry companion. This flower can be particularly dangerous to cats - exposure to even a small amount can cause irreparable kidney damage in felines.
Dogs face similar risks when consuming lilies, albeit less fatal. Lilies are sure to cause your canine companion a lot of intestinal distress, so try to avoid bringing these into your home.
On the same flower train, tulips are out too. The bulb part of the tulip flower contains high levels of toxins that can have devastating health consequences for your pet.
The toxins found in tulips have been linked to intestinal distress, excessive salivating, seizures, and even cardiac irregularities in animals like cats, dogs, and horses.
We’ve often seen “funny” pictures of animals that have consumed marijuana on the internet, but let us tell you it’s no laughing matter.
If your pet were to accidentally consume cannabis in any form they would begin to suffer implications from depression of their nervous system. This can lead to coordination issues, vomiting, spiking heart rates, seizures, or prolonged coma.
Do your beloved companion a favor and spare them the suffering of having to receive treatment for marijuana consumption.
Next on the list are bright and pretty chrysanthemums. Chrysanthemums contain a material known as pyrethrin which is especially poisonous to cats. For cats who have eaten any part of a chrysanthemum, you are likely to see depression and even loss of coordination.
Interestingly enough, pyrethrins are a common ingredient in dog flea and tick medications and so these are slightly less toxic to dogs.
Sago palms are one of the bigger plants on the list, and also one of the most lethal. Nearly every part of the sago palm is considered to be toxic to animals, but the seeds the palms give off are by far the most poisonous.
If your pet were to ingest just a single seed from a sago palm they are likely to experience serious symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, or even life-threatening conditions like liver failure.
Signs That Your Pet Has Ingested A Toxic Plant
There are a few signs to be on the lookout for if you think your pet may have eaten a toxic plant. Be sure to look for:
Increased drooling or vomiting
Increased respiratory rates, or panting
Whimpering or hiding
Tremors or seizures
Sudden death may sadly also occur. If you suspect that your pet has eaten a plant and is reacting badly, your best bet is to rush them to urgent vet care as soon as possible. Try to task someone close to you with checking which plants around your home have been chewed on to further help your vet with diagnosis and treatment.
Seeking Urgent Animal Care In Bradenton/Sarasota
If you are in need of urgent vet support for your animal in the Bradenton or Sarasota areas, turn to Companion Veterinary and Urgent Care Center - the only veterinary hospital in Bradenton/Sarasota that provides urgent and wellness care, which allows us to provide a “whole pet” approach to your furry family member’s health.
We are highly skilled at providing care for pets when they are sick, and our Urgent Care Center will allow pets to receive same-day care, during hours that are convenient for the owners, at a reasonable cost.
For urgent care or emergency services for your pet, visit www.bradentonveter.com/urgent-care