top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Vet Experts

Is It Okay To Give My Dog Tylenol?

We have all heard of Acetaminophen or Tylenol. It’s an over-the-counter medication used to relieve pain and fever in humans. Unfortunately, not all human medication are safe for dogs, and Acetaminophen can be toxic to your furry friend.

If you think that your dog may be in pain or have a fever, call your local urgent care vet or emergency vet, you should never give your dog medication without a veterinarian's instruction.

What Exactly Does Acetaminophen Do?

Acetaminophen is an over-the-counter human medication that relieves pain and reduces fever, and it has been an effective medication since the 1950s. Although it can work wonders for you, it is not a recommended pain reliever or fever reducer in dogs.

Acetaminophen can be highly toxic to your furry companion. If your dog is in pain, your urgent care vet or emergency vet will most likely prescribe a more effective and safer alternative for pain relief. It is best practice to consult your urgent care vet or emergency vet before giving your dog any medication or supplement.

Signs And Symptoms Of Acetaminophen Ingestion In Dogs

Acetaminophen is generally considered toxic to dogs and can cause liver and kidney damage. If your canine companion ingests acetaminophen, contact your urgent care vet or emergency vet immediately and watch out for the following signs of acetaminophen toxicity:

  • Lethargy or depression

  • Loss of appetite

  • Excessive salivation

  • Gastrointestinal upset: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea

  • Brownish or blue-grey colored mucous membranes

  • Swelling of the face and/or extremities

  • Tremors

  • Rapid or labored breathing

  • Collapse

  • Dark-colored urine (may appear brown or reddish-brown)

My Dog Ate Acetaminophen, What Do I Do?

If you think that your dog accidentally ingested acetaminophen, contact your local urgent care vet or emergency vet immediately. They will likely recommend that you bring your dog in for them to induce vomiting. Don't try to induce vomiting at home unless your veterinarian recommends it and provides instructions.

Depending on the length of time passed since your dog ingested acetaminophen, a different treatment plan may be recommended. Induction of vomiting will not work once your pet has absorbed the medication into their bloodstream. In serious cases, your urgent care vet or emergency vet may refer you to a veterinary specialist.

The severity of acetaminophen toxicity in dogs can vary from case to case. But as a rule of thumb, the sooner you seek care for your dog, the better the chance they will have of a successful recovery. If you need help with your pet, we are only a phone call away!

17 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page