The Vet Experts
9 Common Bouquet Flowers That Are Toxic To Your Pets
Flower bouquets are a wonderful way to spruce up your house or a thoughtful gesture to send to someone. Unfortunately, some of the flowers used in arrangements are toxic to dogs and cats.
The ASPCA Poison Control hotline receives calls every year from pet owners seeking help with accidental poisonings and some of those calls end up needing medical attention from a local urgent care vet or emergency vet.
We always recommend just sticking with animal-friendly plants, but sometimes you receive a flower bouquet and the person didn’t know. So here is a list of flowers commonly found in bouquets that are toxic to dogs and cats.
Part of the lily family, this flower can cause nausea, depression, stomach pain, excessive drooling, anorexia and tremors if eaten by one of your furry friends. This is definitely one to watch out for. If you believe your pet ingested any part of the flower give your urgent care vet or emergency vet a call and bring your pet in as soon as possible.
Who knew that the most common flower found in bouquets was toxic to cats and dogs? If eaten, carnations will cause mild migraines and mild gastrointestinal issues in your furry friend. In cases like this, definitely call your emergency veterinarian and advise them of what’s going on immediately.
Often called "mums," this flower will cause vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, lack of coordination, and dermatitis. If you catch your dog or cat chomping on chrysanthemums give your urgent care vet or emergency vet a call to find out what to do next in order to help your pet.
Small amounts of this pretty blossom will cause symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting and drooling. However, if your pet eats a whole bunch of them it will cause heart rhythm abnormalities, which could lead to death. Obviously, call your urgent care vet or emergency vet and have your furry friend seen immediately.
Another beautiful flower that earns a spot as a poisonous plant to dogs and cats. Though less toxic than many other flowers on this list, if eaten dahlias will cause your pet to experience moderate gastrointestinal issues and mild dermatitis. Definitely check in with your urgent care vet or emergency vet to see what can be done to alleviate any discomfort.
This, too, is a flower that is poisonous to cats and dogs. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause your pet to experience excessive drooling, vomiting, lethargy, and nausea. However, the highest concentration of its poisonous component is the buds. We recommend calling your urgent care vet and emergency vet as soon as you can and bringing your furry companion in to be seen.
As beautiful as this tropical-looking flower is, they are harmful to pets. If eaten your furry friend will experience nausea, diarrhea, and may not want to eat their normal diet. Definitely give your urgent care vet or emergency care vet a call to find what you should do and whether or not to have them seen.
Flowers from the lily family are poisonous to many species of animals but the most common lily which we all know and love is toxic to just cats. If your feline ingests this blossom, they may experience kidney failure that, if not treated quickly, may result in death. Absolutely call your urgent car vet or emergency immediately and bring you cat in to be seen.
Tulips are another common flower that is poisonous to dogs and cats. If your furry companion swallows the toxic part of the flower (the bulb) it can lead to nausea, diarrhea and excessive drooling. Call your urgent care vet or emergency vet to find out how you can make your pet more comfortable and if it is necessary to bring them in for an appointment.
Just like you, we want your pets to be as safe as possible, especially when you are not home. So the best thing you can do if you have any of these types of flowers in your home is to either keep the bouquet out of reach or put it in a room where your pets do not go. We are always here for you and your pets, so if an accident does happen, do not hesitate to call us!